|52 Week Bible Reading Plan|
|Don't like to read? Get the Bible on CD, Cassette, MP3, DVD, or VHS!|
52 Week Bible Reading Plan
- Music: [ On | Off]
- Words of a preacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem:
- Vanity of vanities, said the Preacher, Vanity of vanities: the whole [is] vanity.
- What advantage [is] to man by all his labour that he laboureth at under the sun?
- A generation is going, and a generation is coming, and the earth to the age is standing.
- Also, the sun hath risen, and the sun hath gone in, and unto its place panting it is rising there.
- Going unto the south, and turning round unto the north, turning round, turning round, the wind is going, and by its circuits the wind hath returned.
- All the streams are going unto the sea, and the sea is not full; unto a place whither the streams are going, thither they are turning back to go.
- All these things are wearying; a man is not able to speak, the eye is not satisfied by seeing, nor filled is the ear from hearing.
- What [is] that which hath been? it [is] that which is, and what [is] that which hath been done? it [is] that which is done, and there is not an entirely new thing under the sun.
- There is a thing of which [one] saith: `See this, it [is] new!' already it hath been in the ages that were before us!
- There is not a remembrance of former [generations]; and also of the latter that are, there is no remembrance of them with those that are at the last.
- I, a preacher, have been king over Israel in Jerusalem.
- And I have given my heart to seek and to search out by wisdom concerning all that hath been done under the heavens. It [is] a sad travail God hath given to the sons of man to be humbled by it.
- I have seen all the works that have been done under the sun, and lo, the whole [is] vanity and vexation of spirit!
- A crooked thing [one] is not able to make straight, and a lacking thing is not able to be numbered.
- I -- I spake with my heart, saying, `I, lo, I have magnified and added wisdom above every one who hath been before me at Jerusalem, and my heart hath seen abundantly wisdom and knowledge.
- And I give my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I have known that even this [is] vexation of spirit;
- for, in abundance of wisdom [is] abundance of sadness, and he who addeth knowledge addeth pain.'
- I said in my heart, `Pray, come, I try thee with mirth, and look thou on gladness;' and lo, even it [is] vanity.
- Of laughter I said, `Foolish!' and of mirth, `What [is] this it is doing?'
- I have sought in my heart to draw out with wine my appetite, (and my heart leading in wisdom), and to take hold on folly till that I see where [is] this -- the good to the sons of man of that which they do under the heavens, the number of the days of their lives.
- I made great my works, I builded for me houses, I planted for me vineyards.
- I made for me gardens and paradises, and I planted in them trees of every fruit.
- I made for me pools of water, to water from them a forest shooting forth trees.
- I got men-servants, and maid-servants, and sons of the house were to me; also, I had much substance -- herd and flock -- above all who had been before me in Jerusalem.
- I gathered for me also silver and gold, and the peculiar treasure of kings and of the provinces. I prepared for me men-singers and women-singers, and the luxuries of the sons of man -- a wife and wives.
- And I became great, and increased above every one who had been before me in Jerusalem; also, my wisdom stood with me.
- And all that mine eyes asked I kept not back from them; I withheld not my heart from any joy, for my heart rejoiced because of all my labour, and this hath been my portion, from all my labour,
- and I have looked on all my works that my hands have done, and on the labour that I have laboured to do, and lo, the whole [is] vanity and vexation of spirit, and there is no advantage under the sun!
- And I turned to see wisdom, and madness, and folly, but what [is] the man who cometh after the king? that which [is] already -- they have done it!
- And I saw that there is an advantage to wisdom above folly, like the advantage of the light above the darkness.
- The wise! -- his eyes [are] in his head, and the fool in darkness is walking, and I also knew that one event happeneth with them all;
- and I said in my heart, `As it happeneth with the fool, it happeneth also with me, and why am I then more wise?' And I spake in my heart, that also this [is] vanity:
- That there is no remembrance to the wise -- with the fool -- to the age, for that which [is] already, [in] the days that are coming is all forgotten, and how dieth the wise? with the fool!
- And I have hated life, for sad to me [is] the work that hath been done under the sun, for the whole [is] vanity and vexation of spirit.
- And I have hated all my labour that I labour at under the sun, because I leave it to a man who is after me.
- And who knoweth whether he is wise or foolish? yet he doth rule over all my labour that I have laboured at, and that I have done wisely under the sun! this also [is] vanity.
- And I turned round to cause my heart to despair concerning all the labour that I laboured at under the sun.
- For there is a man whose labour [is] in wisdom, and in knowledge, and in equity, and to a man who hath not laboured therein he giveth it -- his portion! Even this [is] vanity and a great evil.
- For what hath been to a man by all his labour, and by the thought of his heart that he laboured at under the sun?
- For all his days are sorrows, and his travail sadness; even at night his heart hath not lain down; this also [is] vanity.
- There is nothing good in a man who eateth, and hath drunk, and hath shewn his soul good in his labour. This also I have seen that it [is] from the hand of God.
- For who eateth and who hasteth out more than I?
- For to a man who [is] good before Him, He hath given wisdom, and knowledge, and joy; and to a sinner He hath given travail, to gather and to heap up, to give to the good before God. Even this [is] vanity and vexation of spirit.
You don't have permission to access /sampleinc.inc
on this server.